Monday, January 19, 2009

The Quinzhee. . . our home away from home


It all began late Sunday afternoon after a long ski across silver lake. Ben has been wanting to build a quinzhee since he came back from a trip to Colorado before we ever met. We finally have enough snow, now that we are in the frozen North. The project begins. . .






Day turns to night and we have finally piled and packed enough snow. Now the snow must have time to set. We leave our snow home for the night. Tomorrow will bring more shoveling as it will be time to tunnel our way in to the middle. Don't worry mom, Ben says it is perfectly safe. He will be the mole and I will be in charge of clearing the snow that comes out.







7 comments:

  1. This is so amazing! What a great job -- both of you -- and I really must say you both have a wonderful sense of fun and adventure. Having your lunch in the new quinzhee is truly the ultimate celebration! I love you guys so much and am missing you horribly! This blog has been a gift! Keep it up. I really makes me feel a part of your lives. Happy Quinzhee-ing. PS You may want to think of other ways of christening the new home....need I say more....But, we don't need a video of that thank you very much! Love and kisses, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quinzhee!! We want to come play in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a kid my cousins and I built a snow fort, not like this one though, and one of my cousins decided to build a sky light through the top while I was lounging inside. When he broke through the roof the shovel went right into my face and now I have that scar under my eye as a constant reminder of that day. Your hut looks much safer!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! It reminds me of the super elaborate forts Marshall, Allison, and I used to make over at their house, with couches and such. I can't believe you guys at lunch in their haha! Awesome.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, and really, only you guys would do something like this. you are such weirdos! in a good way of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice work guys. That door looks a little drafty if the wind is blowing in the right direction. I had the same thought as your mom...lol Its just funny that she posted it first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - That is the coolest thing ever! We're supposed to get some snow this weekend in Salt Lake and we'll start our pile. It could take awhile. It looks like you get a lot more snow than we do.
    Sam is going to love it!!
    Beth Ellen (Paul's sis)

    ReplyDelete